Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Time for some catch up!







On Tuesday evening, Jared and Pam took me on a walk on the beach to watch the sunset. We ate supper and watched a bit of TV. I got some great pics of the sunset and we even got a decent one of us together using the timer. I got the great pick of their son Cael in his All Blacks (Pam and my favorite Rugby team together).




Its been a while since I had a chance to catch up, and I’m proud to say it’s because I’ve been busy. Last week, after spending Tuesday night with Jared and Pam, I spend the day at Calvary again. I helped more with entering information into their database and we all went out to lunch together near the beach. I had salt and pepper squid, which was delicious until I found a hair in it. As I have some experience in the food industry I know that unfortunately these things happen. It was only awkward because it meant that I was the only one eating while everyone else waited for me. At lunch, I spent time looking at the career section of the newspaper to look for job openings that might be a fit for me. I found a couple, such as a similar position to what I did when I worked for Lutheran Services in Iowa, as well as some at the college organizing student placements. (Unfortunately when I researched more information on these later it turned out that they were only part time positions.) The most interesting position that we discussed me applying for is one that would technically be “above” the program manager at the Calvary site. I swiftly reminded all the staff at lunch that they should be nice to me since I’ll soon be above them in the pecking order. After lunch we went back to the office and I finished up researching how to gain a police check from the US. Before lunch, this had included a phone call to the local police station, who told me to ring the consulate. I asked how to find the number for this and the officer I was speaking to told me to “google it.” I found this to be an interesting direction from such an official individual. After I phoned the consulate I was informed that the FBI would be who I needed to contact and that she would e-mail with the information how to do this. Of course this took until after lunch. In the meantime I found what I thought was how to do this, and printed off what I needed. Turns out, I was wrong. When I got the e-mail and printed off those instructions as well. Shirley, an admin staff from Calvary gave me a lift back to the city stopping at a few places on the way. We stopped a furniture repair place and then a store to find some new filing cabinets. We stopped at the Blair Athol site so I could pick up the volunteer information and then she dropped me at home since it was going to rain. I visited shortly with Beth, one of the housemates and then made supper while waiting for Hayley to get home and Adele to arrive. I proved that I can’t read military time, by having supper ready exactly an hour before Hayley said she’d be home. I made American style Chicken Parmesan (baked chicken over pasta vs. the breaded chicken over chips/fries). Luckily, Hayley arrived home about 45 minutes early so it worked out alright. We ate and before too long, Adele arrived for the night. They had plans to get their nails done for the wedding on the following day. We visited and went to bed before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment