Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Grown up Working Girl... ok "volunteering girl"

After getting ready for the day, I made some more chocolate chip pancakes to cook them off and headed to the bus stop. I found my way to the tram I needed in the City and felt like a real grown up in my tennis shoes and business clothes. I was carrying my dress shoes in the bag to change into. This gives me an opportunity to pose a question that I have been asked and unable to answer. Why do we call them tennis shoes? Any answers might be helpful here…. Anyway, back to the day. It was actually a somewhat boring day. I spent time doing office tasks (I’m finding I’m actually quite proficient on the computer and have been impressing staff at Meals on Wheels with my efficiency…. Or they could be just saying that….) and then raced off to find the Lutheran Community Care Office at Sefton Park, which is a neighborhood very close to where I’m staying. This office is the main administrative office and is where Helen, the executive director and other similar staff work most of the time. I called them in the morning to ask about the volunteer packet I had been told I needed to get from them and was told they would have it ready for me, but that I needed to get there before 5pm as they closed promptly at that time. One can imagine my slight panic when I found myself a bit lost at 4:45pm knowing I was VERY close to my destination. Sadly, my printed off directions didn’t do me much good when they were wrong. I asked for directions from a woman and finally got set in the right direction. I found the office and rang the bell only to be told I was in the wrong place. I explained that I’d talked to someone earlier and they let me in. After a bit of confusion, I was able to leave with a volunteer application and a name and number to call to talk to on the following day. It was beautiful outside and I walked the rest of the way home. When I arrived home, Beth was there and asked if I’d like to join her for the Zumba class she planned to attend later. I (enthusiastically) said yes. I made spaghetti with veggies for supper and Beth had some as well. She even said she liked it.  We got ready and headed to the dance studio where the Zumba classes are held. I promptly pissed off the instructor by not knowing my own mobile number and clearly not reading the health and safety warnings on the form before signing it. The class was great and I was wiped at the end. (Becca: the instructor was WAY more like our initial instructor than the one who did the rest of the classes at the CWC.) I was pleasantly surprised when she acknowledged that I hadn’t looked at uncoordinated as I felt by telling me I’d looked like I’d done it before. After this, I have found my way to a table with my computer typing this blog in word since I don’t have access to the internet, hoping that I’ll be able to upload it tomorrow. I was thinking today about the fact that I’ve only been away for a week and a half, but I feel like I’ve settled in well here and am looking forward to each day and the new things I am experiencing and the new friends I am making. I miss my phone a lot, and feel very disconnected since I’m not able to text everyone I normally would back home each day or log on to e-mail or facebook instantly. I hope that everyone back home knows that I think about them all the time and miss them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment