Saturday, September 17, 2011

I have arrived!

I suspect I would be alright if I didn't see the inside of a plane for some time! After a flight from Cedar Rapids to Minneapolis and then one to L.A., I boarded a plane bound for Melbourne. I arrived into the country at 5:15am. After gathering my luggage and going through customs, and then a closer look at my luggage, I checked in for my final flight... to Adelaide! The layover was perfect timing and I was back in the air before I knew it. When I arrived in Adelaide at 8:30am, I was excited to see Jess and her fiance waiting for me at the gate. The security measures are different here and family and friends are still able to meet passengers at the gate. We walked together to get my (incredibly heavy) suit case and then on to breakfast. It will take some time to get used to driving on the opposite side of the street again, but by the end of the day its already seeming less odd. After breakfast we stopped at a bank to allow me to exchange some money, which sadly is worth significantly less than when I was here two years ago. We went back to their home so I could take a much needed shower and to regroup for the day. Jess and Michael are getting married in 2 weeks and today was his "Buck's Day." Like a bachelor party, he and his friends were headed to paintball, go kart, eat, and play poker. While he did this, Jess and I ventured out with a list of things to do to get ready for the wedding. Most excitedly (for me), I found a dress to wear to the wedding, and at Target no less! We found gifts for the bridal party and accomplished a couple other tasks including coffee and a stop at Baker's Delight (one of the things I've missed most). To my delight, they still served my favorites, a white chocolate berry scone was my choice today. Our errands involved a trip to the mall, which seems to be no different than those back home. The weather today was sunny and about 22 degrees Celsius. We went to the grocery store to get supplies to make supper. When we arrived back to their unit, my jet lag finally set in and we rested for a while before beginning to cook chicken, veggies, and rice. Now, we are sitting watching a movie and discussing plans for the next couple days. It's slowly setting in that I've finally found my way back here and I am excited for all of the chances I will have to see old friends and hopefully make some new ones as well. Sadly, my phone does not work, despite my efforts to make sure it would work over here. So, on to plan B to try to reactivate my old Australian cell phone in the next couple days. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated as often as possible. For now I am staying with Jess, until her sister comes back to town. Then she has agreed to take me in, as she has a spare bedroom. I am looking forward to volunteering with Meal's on Wheels (where Jess works), as well as hopefully with Lutheran Community Care (where I interned 2 1/2 years ago), but also to relax and enjoy this beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment