Sunday, September 18, 2011

Settling in....

Its hard to believe I've really only been here 2 days. On Sunday we got up and got ready for church. Michael did not join us, because he was recovering from his Buck's night (Bachelor Party). On the way to church, we passed a McDonalds (called Macker's here) and Jess was commenting how they are making attempts to provide healthier choices on their menu. As she was telling me this, I saw a banner up outside stating that for only $2, a person can add friend chicken wings to their value meal. I found this highly entertaining. Jess and I attended Glynde Lutheran church, which is where Helene's family and some of the other folks attend that I met and spent time with on my last trip. I was somewhat disappointed that Helene was not there, as I thought it would be the most likely place to see her, but I understood when I discovered that there was a pedal prix even this weekend. Pedal Prix is sort of like box car racing, but are built around a seated bicycle. I found the picture below online to give a better idea of what I am talking about. This is an activity that one of Helene's sons (Simon) is very involved in.

























After church, we spent some time visiting with friends of Jess' at the church and then headed home. We encouraged Michael to get up as he and Jess had somewhere they needed to go for wedding arrangements shortly. Jess and I went across the street to the supermarket to get a couple things to make for lunch. After we ate, Jess and Michael headed out for their meeting with a woman at whose home Jess plans to get ready and take pictures before the wedding. They returned shortly stating that they'd needed to reschedule and we went out to look for some gifts and material to use for a young adult bible study they would be leading later in the day. Unfortunately the store was closed, so instead we took a driving tour around North Adelaide to get ideas for more places to take pictures.



The picture above is of the Torrens River, which I took pictures of on my last trip, after it was accidentally drained. It is interesting to note how the different season changes the perception of rainfall. When I was here last time rain was something to rejoice in because of a drought. Today, rain is in the forecast and not only is it not exciting, but my hosts' reactions were much like that of anyone in the US. Below are some pictures of places that Jess and Michael are thinking of taking photos at before the wedding.



The happy couple themselves at an older train station.



Below is the view from a scenic location. The Larger white structure near the front is the Adelaide Oval which is where the International Rugby tournament is held, as well as Cricket matches. The plaque has arrows pointing to significant buildings in the skyline.









I thought it might also be interesting to put up some pictures of Jess and Michael's unit, where I am staying.









The last picture is of laundry hanging. As with most homes here, the unit does not have a dryer since the weather is almost always suitable for hanging laundry out to dry.









After our driving tour, we picked up one of Jess and Michael's friends and went to the adult small group. The friend is finishing up a teaching degree and was excited to tell everyone that she has been offered a position teaching "reception" at a school about 6 hours away. It was explained that "reception" is what we would call Kindergarten in the US. They talked about the fact that different states in Australia have different names for the grade, such as "foundation". She talked about concerns for finding somewhere to live and I found it very interesting when she talked about the school helping her to find a place to live, even possibly finding families to host her until she is able to find a place. It seems to me that in the US this would not be something that most employers would offer to help one to do. Pizza was ordered, which was phenomenal. The others at the small group wondered if pizza was the same back home and I told them it was, although some of the ingredients aren't as often put on pizza's, such as sun dried tomatoes. The small group was interesting just to think about the differences in perceptions between our cultures. We played Apples to Apples... the Bible edition afterwards. It was hilarious and evident that game was made in the US as many of the cards featured things like Slavery and abolitionists, as well as figures like Martin Luther King Jr. One conversation topic that I found interesting was that apparently, it is a widely known fact here that human urine helps lemon and orange trees grow. And further, that the urine of elderly men is even more useful... I think I wish I had missed hearing this little fact.






When we arrived back home, and discussed the coming week. It was decided that for the time being I would continue to stay with Jess and Michael, and they have even began to toss around the idea of having me house-sit while they are on their honeymoon. I encouraged them to take time and talk about that, as nothing needed to be decided at this very moment. It is a shame I can't drive stick shift, as Jess has offered to allow me to use her car, which I legally can with a valid US driver's license. Arrangements are being made for me to attend a volunteer orientation with Meal's on Wheels (Where Jess works) on Wednesday so I can begin volunteering with them. I have been sending out messages and attempting to contact friends I have here to reconnect with them. More than anything, though, I have been settling in to this awesome place I have been lucky enough to return to. I am SO thankful for the hospitality and kindness that Jess and Michael have shown me by welcoming into their home.


The final picture is of a bird that we saw in the parking lot during our shopping expedition on Saturday. The picture is significant to me as it was one of my first reality checks that I was no longer in the US, as the bird was so unfamiliar to me. I told Jess that it appeared that this bird could check the oil in a car and perhaps that was why it was wondering around in the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment