Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sisterhood of the Travelling Dress!

In the morning, Jess came back over and we spent a wonderfully lazy day going to the shops and making a fantastic brunch, which was served around 1:30 or 2pm. Adele purchased a magical dress, which we dubbed the “Sisterhood of the traveling Dress” because it fit ALL of us. We had ham and cheese croissants, fruit bread, chocolate chip pancakes, strawberries and pineapple, sweet nuts, fruit bread, a spinach and chicken Florentine roll, and even baked salmon with spinach and sautéed mushrooms. Some of these choices were tastier than others.









We set ourselves up on a blanket outside and ate and visited for hours. I brought my computer out and played some music. Apparently, my computer is a brand (ASUS) that is well known and respected here. This is ironic because I purchased it, not recognizing the brand, because it was significantly less expensive than the others of similar type. We came back inside only when it was time for the girls to get ready to go to supper with their family. We talked about me joining in, but I decided that it would be a good time for me to catch up on laundry and do some dishes. Shortly after I finished the dishes, Helene got a hold of me and invited me to tea at their home for a chance to meet Jordan. I gladly accepted and she came to pick me up. Jordan is heading to Alice Springs this week to see some of the sights, but also learn about some of the newer programs that are up and running in the area. These programs were just in the VERY beginning stages when I was here last. It’s amazing to see how much the programs at Lutheran Community Care have been able to grow and expand the services they provide. Jordan is spending most of her time at Ingle Farm, and also a day at Blair Athol in their Oppe Shop (thrift store). This fact will probably only really mean something to either of the girls who were with me on the last trip. On the trip home, I also had a chance to ask a bit more about the position that Helene had called to tell me about in the Alternative Care/Foster Care program they have. She explained that a staff member has taken a position somewhere else and will be finishing up this week. She said that she thinks that they will need to hire someone because she doesn’t believe that anyone currently working part time will be looking to take on their hours. Apparently the program is one that is continuing to grow and that they haven’t had many applicants in the past with an interest or experience in the area. Ironically enough, because of my work with New Directions Counseling Services and Lutheran Services, I DO have experience in the area. It sounds like there needs to be some discussion with the program manager, though, about how they will handle filling the position before I get my hopes up too much. Helene dropped me off and I spent a bit of time working out how I’d get to the Meals on Wheel’s office in the morning.









No comments:

Post a Comment